Nice to meet you!
I’m Ian, a professional photographer and aviation photojournalist of over 20 years, based in Wolverhampton, West Midlands.
And by the way, if you’re expecting the clichéd picture of a photographer holding a camera, that’s not going to happen!
I’ve had an interest in photography since I was a youngster – the occasional family slide shows we endured when I was growing up probably had something to do with that! Through school, I always had an interest in something ‘creative’, whether that was writing or drawing – so I went and studied Environmental Science at university. . . . . .makes sense! And then in 2005 I began a loooong career in education and IT management . . . . . makes even more sense! Stay with me, it gets better!
I’d found that I usually had a camera with me wherever I went and began to take my work more seriously. I soon realised that I was able to turn what was a hobby in to something more. With my interest in aviation and the creative writing flair (yes, remember that?!), I turned my hand to aviation photojournalism where I could take pictures and write articles at the same time – and sometimes get paid for it!
I also had aspirations of being a cameraman growing up and during this time I was able to work freelance as a camera operator on a range of events – you know those big camera cranes/jibs? They take some getting used to!
After 17 years, I’d had enough of schools, enough of IT and enough of fixing everyone else’s problems so I decided to completely change careers. I joined National Highways and now I can write, take photos AND get paid for it at the same time! (Yes, I am the person who writes to tell you roads are closed. Yes, I am the person who takes photos of cones.)
I’ve been lucky to make what started off as a hobby in to a job, whether it forms elements of my day job or alongside normal work. I’ve been able to combine it with my other interests too – the outdoors, motorsport and of course, dogs and agility. Weddings are a particular favourite and it’s a real pleasure to share in such a special day. No matter what each wedding brings, every couple is unique, making every event unlike any other.
As the saying goes “Choose a job you love and you’ll never have to work a day in your life” – that’s what I tell myself when it’s 2am and I’m still going through photos…….
And I still don’t think you can beat a slide show!
A few other things about me:
* Married to Laura with Evie and number 2 due soon! *
* Four dogs (we must be mad!) *
* I love music! Absolutely anything and everything (260,000 tracks in the library and counting) *
* I used to work at The Lichfield Garrick Theatre – the stories I could tell you about that place*
* I’m a radio DJ (on occasion!) *
* I’m really good at Songpop and a round of ‘guess the intro’ *
* The best job I had was as a home delivery driver for Tesco, back in the day (other supermarkets are available) *
* Gin all the way *
* Cornwall all the way – pasties and ofc jam first! *
* Dad jokes and puns (nuff said) *
* Pinch of nom books rule *
* Love a Gary Larson strip *